Job Title: Data & Technology Director
Salary Range: $70,000 – $85,000 DOE
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana preferred, Midwest remote possible for highly qualified candidates who are willing to travel.
About Indiana Voices/Votes
Indiana Voices and Indiana Votes are new backbones to our state’s growing social movement ecosystem. We believe Indiana can be a place where elected leaders work for ‘We the People’ not just the wealthy few. We build capacity of grassroots organizations to win elections, advance progressive policies, as we build a mutli-racial governing coalition.
Black, white, brown – across labor, faith, community – from small towns and big cities – our member organizations are rooted in sustained local organizing engaging tens of thousands of Hoosiers to fight for racial justice, better schools, immigrant rights, good jobs, gender equity, and clear land, air, and water for generations to come.
We coordinate year-long civic and voter engagement programs that aim to put ordinary people at the center of politics in our state.
We believe leaders are developed, not born; so we’re building a leadership pipeline that extends from our grassroots communities to Indiana’s highest offices.
We are the state hub for ‘Race-Class Narrative’ a shared narrative that motivates our base and persuades for wins that benefit working people across issues, campaigns, and geographies.
In our work, we center the leadership of Black people, Immigrants, women, LGBTQ, and young people.
Indiana Voices/Indiana Votes is charting a new path to progressive governance in the Midwest. We understand democratic participation grows when communities own and benefit from the political power we build. The person in this role believes in innovation and multiple strategies to achieve progressive power.
This is an ideal job for someone who is eager to set a new model for data infrastructure. The Data and Technology Senior Strategist will create first-time systems to support movement organizations to coordinate their work, win campaigns, and elect candidates accountable to our communities. This position will play a critical role in guiding state power strategy by presenting data analytics to drive strategic decision-making over the long term.
Short Term Goals & Outcomes
- Work closely with a diverse set of in-state organizations to build shared infrastructure, including NGPVAN, to create and utilize reporting solutions, data warehousing and voter contact tools.
- Train and empower organizations rooted in the community to cultivate data and tech expertise. Leverage the tools and impactful ways for partners and organizations to run their own winning campaigns. Mentor and support the technical expertise of in-state partners and organizers.
- Lead support for primary and general electoral work. Projecting & report building, identifying targets and executing the process of the universe. This role involves universe creation, and targeting coordinated voter engagement programs to drive member organizations to reach volunteer recruitment and voter engagement goals.
- Support and develop digital organizing strategies that can be leveraged by all member organizations and internal departments.
Long Term Goals & Outcomes
- Develop a multi-year strategy to achieve progressive power and govern in Indiana.
- Develop a pipeline of next generation data strategists, advancing the leadership of Black people, women, communities of color and other underrepresented communities in Indiana.
- Utilizing data findings to help figure and provide the SWOT guidance to long term organizers, partners, organizations, etc.
- Learning and finding opportunities from each election cycle and then implementing those findings to create long term systems and strategies for you, your team, and the broader network.
We would love to talk to you if you have many (not all) of these experiences…
- You have experience and enthusiasm training, supporting and mentoring others on utilizing tools and voter data in support of a campaign.
- You have basic SQL skills and experience utilizing data warehouses such as Civis, with a desire to learn more.
- Experience interacting with and analyzing the voter file, census data and/or another large dataset.
- Experience with NGP VAN/EveryAction, ActionKit, ActionNetwork or other commonly used progressive tools as a user and/or an administrator.
- Experience project management experience, including delegation, managing up and managing expectations for themselves and projects.
- Able to communicate and collaborate within a team, other departments, as well as, vendors, partners, etc.
- An awareness of their own gaps in knowledge, expertise and experience, as well as a sincere desire to fill them.
- Recognize the impact of white supremacy on all of our lives and bring racial equity, inclusion, and intersectionality to all levels of our work.
- Have high emotional intelligence
- Approach obstacles that must be overcome with tenacity and persistence, with the understanding that sometimes requires self-reflection and patience, empathetic listening.
While not required, a strong candidate might have one or more of the following:
- Experience working as an organizer, preferably for a community-based, labor, and/or state based organization.
- Experience managing and organizing data for a coordinated campaign made up of multiple organizations.
- Experience with programming languages such as Python or R.
- Experience working with APIs, HTTP or data syncs.
- Experience with data visualization.
Salary / Benefits
This will be a full-time, permanent position. Occasional work on nights and weekends will be required (and may become more frequent as the election season heats up).
This will be a full-time, exempt, permanent position. We will consider temporary contract positions and remote work for experienced candidates able to provide leadership now through December 2022, while we conduct a search for the permanent data strategist.
The compensation for this role includes a salary of $70,000-85,000 (depending on experience) and excellent benefits including full medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 5% retirement match after 2 years, and generous paid time off. We also provide a cell phone with unlimited talk and data and a computer at the beginning of employment.
We have contracted with a highly experienced data strategist to provide ongoing coaching and training to the person in this role over the first year of employment. We highly encourage motivated candidates who have some, but not all of the qualifications above to apply. We especially encourage people of color and women to apply.
This position will report to the Executive Director, Shoshanna Spector.
In lieu of a traditional cover letter please answer the following questions:
- Why are you applying for this job? (Suggested word limit: 200)
- How have you ensured that social justice and social change has been centered in your previous work? (150-200 words)
- In the “This Role” section of this job listing (see above) there is a list of bullet points under the heading “We would love to talk to you if you have many (not all) of these experiences…” Which of these bullet points do you believe you bring to the table? Please list them with a few words of explanation if that’s useful. (Note, where there is a list of different ways to meet the criteria of a single bullet point, please specify which one(s) you bring to the table.)
- Are you currently located in or willing to relocate to the Indianapolis metro area? [Yes, currently in Indianapolis; Yes, willing to relocate to Indianapolis; No, located elsewhere in Indiana or the Midwest; No, unable to relocate.]
Questions about this position or the application process can be sent to: email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and open until filled. Applicants encouraged to apply ASAP for first consideration.
Please note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities are based on organizational needs and may change at any time with or without notice.
Indiana Voices/Votes provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, criminal history, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. We believe that marginalized communities must be centered in the work we do and strongly encourage people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people to apply.