Residents of South Bend, Granger, and Mishawaka started Faith in Indiana’s St. Joseph County chapter in February 2018. One of the chapter’s biggest goals is to reduce gun violence and incarceration by 30% over the next five years. Here are some of our accomplishments:
- We ended ICE detention in the county jail.
- Our grassroots volunteers are working with the county to help people suffering from mental illness or addiction receive the treatment they need instead of jail.
- We moved the South Bend mayor and Board of Public Safety to adopt a progressive police-discipline matrix.
- With partners, we protected the health of tenants with a rental safety program.
- We won a million dollars for the county Health Department to address lead poisoning in children.
- We helped establish two, full-day, fixed-location COVID test sites on the west side of South Bend.